Pre-Employment Skills Training
We offer Pre-employment Skills Training to individuals with disabilities who are seeking to enter or reenter the work force. Our ultimate goal is to help individuals with disabilities become more independent so that they may achieve their individual goals for living in the community.
IU provides pre and post vocational services that include topics such as
- Resume Development
- Cover, Thank You & Inquiry Letter Writing
- Using Public Transportation Systems to get to and from Work Independently
- Managing Personal Care Assistants
- Opening a Bank Account
- Answering Common Interview Questions
- Soft Skills (Interacting with People in the Work Place)
- Making Cold Calls
- How to Dress for Success
- Disability Disclosure
- On the Job Accommodations
Independence Unlimited can help connect you with local organizations that may be able to help advance your search for employment including:
- The Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Easter Seals
IU has a desktop that is accessible to people with all different kinds of disabilities. The IU desktop computer is on an accessible adjustable table, adjustable chair and is equipped with a scanner and printer. People who want to learn new computer skills or try out the software can stop by the IU office and receive a demonstration of the accessibility features and sign up for practice time to improve computer skills.
The computer is set up with adaptive software so that people with disabilities can:
- Develop or improve keyboarding skills;
- Develop general computer skills;
- Use for personal web searches;
- Use for education, communication skills, pre-employment and employment activities and searches;
- Be referred and assessed by a BESB Rehabilitation Teacher and/or Technologist.
The following software is available on the consumer computers:
GUIDE - This software is designed for consumers who have acquired brain injury or who are blind or have vision impairment and is designed for accessing the internet and email and is not compatible with Windows Office. This is a very easy program. If a consumer has typing skills, the program can be learned in 3 hours or less.Scan and Read Pro - The product changes printed text into understandable sound and is recommended for people with learning disabilities as well as people who are blind, visually impaired or other disabilities.